The purpose of the Parish Health Team at CUMC is to nurture the human spirit through health education, spiritual support, and the linking of the needs of the whole person to church, community and health care resources.
This all-volunteer Parish Health Team was established in 2009 to provide a form of faith- based community health for our congregation. Members of the team minister to our congregants by using their health care skills and expertise to educate, encourage, and provide consultation for health care needs.
Role of the Team
Upon request, members of our Parish Nurse team engage in a variety of ministries, including, but not limited to:
- Visiting or calling church members at home or in the hospital
- Counseling and/or teaching on health-related issues and practices.
- Participating in local health fairs
Team members also:
- Provide monthly blood pressure screenings
- Arrange for and participate in CPR/AED training programs for staff and interested others as needed.
- Provide periodic checks of AED equipment to ensure both units are in good working order.
- Provide periodic checks of FIRST AID supplies and arrange for re-supply as needed.
- Support and/or work collaboratively with community partners to provide disease prevention with yearly flu shot clinics.
- Identify and develop best practice guidelines for CUMC for issues related to the health of our congregants.
- Encourage awareness of and participation in blood donation programs in the local area.
- Support safe sanctuary practices that keep our congregants safe in church and at church activities.
How to Become a Member of our Team
Our team is made up of registered nurses, licensed practical nurses and other non-medical individuals who help with the work of the group. All members must demonstrate personal spiritual maturity and be ready to assist others as needed within the scope of the role of the parish nurse team. If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.