- Fri - Thu Jun 10 - 30 2022
- All Day
A Call to Action From Adam Hamilton
After the shooting in Uvalde, Texas, Rev. Adam Hamilton, senior pastor of the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas sent letters to his Representatives in Congress and in the state legislature asking them to do more to protect our children from violence. He encourages us to do the same. Click here to see the full text of his email. [more]
There have been 27 school shootings and 228 mass shootings (four or more victims) in the US since January 1, 2022. Because of differences over guns, we find ourselves in gridlock, with no solutions.
Rev. Hamilton says, “We can throw up our hands, and nothing changes. Or, we can ask our legislators to address the root causes and develop better strategies to decrease the chances of school shootings and other acts of violence.
What Can We DO?
- Find your representatives’ names and e-mail addresses here.
- Copy the text of either of the sample letters (links below) and paste it into an email. (Note: there are two versions – one for federal representatives and one for state representatives.)
- Address your email to your representatives by name, sign your name at the end and send it.
- Feel free to tweak the letter so that it represents your views.
Over Memorial Day weekend there were 14 more mass shootings, including six people injured at a High School graduation in Alabama and another six teens injured in a mass shooting in Tennessee. Let’s encourage our representatives to do all they can to reduce these incidences of violence.