- Thu Oct 27 2022
- 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Fall Bible Study
Signs and Wonders by Amy Jill Levine
Thu Oct 27 – Thu Dec 8, 7:00 pm, via Zoom
We will study the miracle stories in the gospels to see what these stories meant in Jesus’ time and what they mean for us today. Author Amy-Jill Levine, professor of New Testament Studies at Vanderbilt University Divinity School, will help us go deeper into Jesus’ healing and miracle stories. Please sign up to be part of this Bible study [here]. You are encouraged to buy the book but it is not necessary. We will begin with a video introduction by Amy-Jill, read the scripture, share an overview of Levine’s chapter, and share our reflections. Here are the themes and scripture selections for each week:
- Take up your Pallet and Walk, on the role of caregivers (Mark 2:1-12)
- Stilling the Storm, attending to nature (Mark 4:35-41)
- The Feeding of the Five Thousand, the centrality of bread (Luke 9:10-17)
- A Bleeding Woman and a Dead Girl, the importance of women’s bodies (Matthew 9:18-26)
- Two-Stage Miracle, seeing again (Mark 8:22-26)
- The Raising of Lazarus, taking death seriously (John 11:1-44)
This six-week study will be led by Pastor Hannah and Beth Hagemeyer. We will not meet on Thanksgiving Thursday.
To support a Black woman-owned bookstore, please click here to purchase the book.