Community United Methodist Church adheres to the denominational and conference requirements of a “Safe Sanctuaries Plan,” and also has a Child Abuse Prevention Policy for safe ministries with children and youth (birth through age 18). We do this because we want to continue to keep our children and youth safe at CUMC. What this means:
- We will have 2 adults present in each room of children and youth.
- Any youth volunteers will be at least 5 years older than the children they are assisting and will have an adult present in the classroom with them.
- There is advance notice given to parents and to the pastors regarding any food served in classrooms or any trips out of the building.
- Each child and youth ministry volunteer will complete a background check.
- All children ages birth through fifth grade will be signed in and out of all Sunday morning ministries and other activities by a parent or guardian over the age of 16. Sign-in can be done in the hallway by Room 206 and child’s Sunday School room.
- During our 8:30 and 11:00 worship services, parents are asked to complete a “Passport” (located in the pews of the Sanctuary) for children going to Children’s Chapel, indicating essential information about the child on the form.
- Adult volunteers will immediately report any behavior that seems abusive or inappropriate to the pastors.
A complete copy of CUMC’s Safe Sanctuaries plan is available. Please contact the Beth Hagemeyer for more information.
Registration forms are available in the Nursery and all classrooms. Please complete one for each child per year so we can be safe. All teachers, assistants and substitutes are trained in Safe Sanctuary Guidelines, and there will always be two Safe Sanctuary trained adults in each area. Background checks are made on all adults who volunteer with children. Parents must sign their children (up to fourth grade) in and out each time for all programs.