Community United Methodist Church adheres to the denominational and conference requirements of a “Safe Sanctuaries Plan,” and also has a Child Abuse Prevention Policy for safe ministries with children and youth (birth through age 18). We do this because we want to continue to keep our children and youth safe at CUMC. What this means:
- We will have 2 adults present in each room of children and youth.
- Any youth volunteers will be at least 5 years older than the children they are assisting and will have an adult present in the classroom with them.
- We will give advance notice to parents and to the pastors regarding any food served in classrooms or any trips out of the building.
- Each child and youth ministry volunteer will complete a background check.
- All children ages birth through fifth grade will be signed in and out of all Sunday morning ministries and other activities by a parent or guardian. Sign-in can be done in the hallway by Room 206 and the child’s Sunday School room.
- Adult volunteers will immediately report any behavior that seems abusive or inappropriate to the pastors.
A complete copy of CUMC’s Safe Sanctuaries plan is available. Please contact Beth Hagemeyer for more information.
Registration forms are available in the Nursery and Room 207. Please complete one for each child per year. All teachers, assistants, and substitutes are trained in Safe Sanctuary Guidelines, and there will always be two Safe Sanctuary trained adults in each area. Background checks are made on all adults who volunteer with children. Parents must sign their children (up to fifth grade) in and out each time for all programs.